Wednesday 15 July 2015

Being fully google-able!

I went on a blind date the other day. We said 'hello' and when I ordered drinks at the bar my date said "Ah yes, trying 4 new gins this year as part of your '45 list'." I looked somewhat bewildered and thought that someone really did some serious preparation for the evening. Apparently, I got googled with my first name, and my other blog, the travel blog, came up, in which one can read about those "45 things to do when turning 45". 

Back home I started to think about what happened. I was not quite sure if I should have been happy or not that I am "fully google-able" with just my first name plus one narrowing description. But then, what should I expect with my private travel blog having more than 500 entries and 100,000 hits? Digging further down in my thought process I realised that actually, I would have been ever so slightly happier if my other blog, this business blog, which I have been neglecting now for so many years, had come up. I parked that thought and life went on till yesterday. 

I met my friend Lorna, a very well established businesswoman with her own company, and we had a chat over a drink after a meeting. After the usual "how are you?" I told her about a coaching franchise that wants to sell me a course, etc, for which I should pay anything between GBP 21,000 to 61,000 upfront. We both agreed it's rubbish and our chat went on to self-marketing, web presence, and you name it, in order to do it all by oneself and not pay such horrendous amounts for a franchise where one doesn't know in advance whether it is good or bad. And there I was again - my neglected business blog, my not so important but successful travel blog, and my poor business web presence

Today, I am giving it another go and work on 'The Naked Consultant'; this blog. My target is to throw my name out and get some serious business web presence; and I want to do it by writing about 'coaching being the new consulting' with regular/weekly updates. 

PS: My date two weeks ago went really well. We are Facebook friends now. And let's see what the future has in store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment