Thursday 29 January 2009

The Genetic Imperative towards Efficiency Improvement

Why on earth would anyone like to become a management consultant? This is a question I have been confronted with at quite some dinner party. My standard answer is that I am German and efficiency is a genetic default for us bunch.

The real answer though is another one. I, like so many others, am driven by improving situations, helping my clients to make positive changes, sorting out their inherent inefficiencies in their processes and organisations, and want to leave those organisations bearing in mind that I added some value to them.

At university, I studied Economics in Nuremberg, one of my focus areas was called "Lean Management", by Professor Pfeiffer. For me it was similar to going to church. I just loved it, absorbed every word, and knew that's where I want to be in my life. And funny enough that's where I really ended up. My first management consultancy company focused on operations improvement. Those were the hardest years in my life, but my learning curve was rather steep. It was thrilling climbing up there. And the air up there was thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment