Saturday 31 January 2009

Observing Ice-cream

There were these ice-cream machines which I needed to observe. This particular client produces dairy products such as milk, yogurt, cheese, but also ice-cream.

I got a list with the amount of workers per machine and should observe if there was any "room for improvement". I spent many hours in that factory observing and observing. I wrote a list with possibilities for workforce reductions, drew machine plans with suggestions and presented that very proudly to my project manager. I saw a huge dollar sign lurking over that factory.

After that discussion I learned what "station filled positions" are. These are manned positions at a machine which are either there for health & safety reasons, or, when leaving those positions unmanned, the risk of discovering a production fault, hence higher scrap rates and poor quality, would be far too high.

And suddenly the imaginary dollar sign shrunk. I found a little bit though.

No comments:

Post a Comment