Friday 30 January 2009

Grüetzi alle miteinand

I started as junior consultant with a US company based in Florida. Through a strange freelance agreement I had with them, where nothing was clear, they suddenly called up telling me I had to fly to Bern, the Swiss capital, and meet the project team. That was in January 1997. I was nervous. The rules were clear for this company; flying out every Sunday with the latest possible plane (which could well be in the afternoon) and flying home Friday afternoon. If there was no work I would stay at home and not being paid. This was called "being on the beach". But as a junior who has just left university everything was possible. I must admit I was glad I found that job. Little did I know how much it would change my life.

I arrived Sunday night, got picked up at the airport, received a quick briefing, and met the full team for breakfast the day after. I was told I was responsible for purchasing with that client. My goal for the next 3 months was to generate financial annual savings of CHF 50,000, which was 1 "POP" as they called it, 1 Person Off Payroll. And off I went, purchasing was all mine. I had to learn to swim...

The project team was small; there was one project manager, 3 consultants, and a part-time trainer who did the management training.

No comments:

Post a Comment