Sunday 1 February 2009

Features and Benefits

As soon as I got my first trainings I was made being aware that the company is not a consultancy company but a sales company. Every single consultant has to sell, too. You see, suddenly I got another job on top of mine - salesman.

And of course this is right. Every project member should sell his work, achievements and company to the client, all the time. The problem is, one does not speak the right lingo when talking to clients. Everyone like to repeat what one has done in order to impress: "Mr Client, today I observed the production. I also looked at the financial data you gave me, I talked to the HR director of the company and organised your manager's training programme."

This list sounds pretty impressive but actually, the client might shrug with a "Whatever!"-expression on his face. If he is nice he might as well just ask: "So, what's in it for me?", and help us to come up with reasons why those activities had been performed.

Well, let's look at that sentence again: "Mr Client, we are close to show you the savings potential in production because soon the observation phase is finished. The financial data you gave me looks pretty grim from a first glance on it, but we shall sit together and work on something. The HR director thinks the trade unions are quiet and we can continue with observing workers in their workplace. Your managers will soon be able to perform the first basic management tasks because I prepared the training programme".

The first are called features, the latter benefits. No further explanation required.

No comments:

Post a Comment