Sunday 9 August 2009

The Bill - Week 1

My first week passed by and I was extremely exhausted by the time Friday's lessons had finished. I went home and fell to bed and had a deep power nap. Saturday and Sunday I revised and did what I learned at university many, many years back - writing things up, summarizing pages and chapters from the big handout folder, and in the end, it was actually a very reasonable package to learn and review.

Last week we learned the "street" sections of PACE, the Police and Criminal Evidence Act - Stop & Search, Power of Arrest, etc. And then there was also a self-defence part one day which was my biggest challenge. But I think I mastered both parts pretty well.

Group dynamics is interesting. I am one of the oldest with my 39 years. Most people are in their early twenties. What is the best though about the group is its diversity - half men/half women, British, Continental European, and all sorts of racial mixes from around the globe which have integrated into Britain; like me, suppose. This is absolutely perfect and mirrors London's society extremely well.

What I find strange though, compared to Germany, the lack of a written Constitution enables British police to enter private living space only by applying PACE and without a warrant. This would be absolutely non-thinkable in Germany. The new policeman in me says "yes" to this right given by PACE, the German in me is still a bit hesitant to accept it.

All in all, I had an extraordinarily good experience, my class mates are pretty nice and friendly, and my trainers extremely funny and very professional. I am looking forward to week 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment