Monday 3 August 2009

The Bill

Today, a completely new chapter in my life is going to start - life as a policeman. And no, this is not a joke, but today and for the next 4 weeks I am going to get trained up in the police training facilities in north London and will then work in one of the boroughs on a voluntary basis, 16 hours a month minimum.

Most of my friends and family were asking me why on earth I would do that. There are a few reasons:

1. The Altruistic Reason: I truly believe everybody has to give something back to the community and society. We are all very good in taking and expecting, but giving can be an extremely interesting challenge, too, and it can be fun!

2. The Uniform Reason: I think I have always been fascinated by the police, from childhood on. Strangely enough, I never applied for a job with them when I still lived in Germany, but hey, one gets older and wiser.

3. The Professional Reason: Since I want to also establish myself as Executive Coach (besides my consulting career) I truly believe that getting trained and working as policeman will open my horizons immensely and add to my skill-set.

4. The Leisure Reason: I want to force myself to get out more and do something useful. Temptation is far too high to stay in and play with the computer, watch TV or just potter about when one could do something else.

5. The Social Reason: Extremely interesting to me is the possibility to get to know so many new and interesting people. Especially as freelancer one cannot get to know enough.

So, all in all, this makes sense to me. And I am looking forward to later on, on my Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment