Monday 23 February 2009

Consultants, a Special Breed

It is quite interesting to sit here and think about a certain aspect of the job and write down some thoughts. What kind of people did I meet?

First it must be said that us consultants, we are actually a strange bunch of people. We lead our private lives at the weekends solely, fly out every week to the projects where we then spend days together with our colleagues - we have breakfast together in the hotel, go to work, spend all day on the project, and in the evenings we all go for dinner. The only time we are alone is in the hotel room after dinner and before breakfast. One gets used to it though. But it is apparent how important good team-building skills of a project manager are.

Once you are a good team and well fuctioning the project is over and new teams of consultants build up on new projects, and the whole work of building a team, etc, starts all over again.

With 2 of my colleagues I managed to stay in touch over all those years. And funny enough, these are my 2 American colleagues Julie and Chad, who have become great friends. With the Europeans I managed to get in touch with a few again. Websites like LinkedIN, XING and Plaxo triggered this development; without them it would have been impossible. With a few of my old colleagues I am in a more or less regular e-mail contact.

Maybe I should write 2 more entries on here about good and bad examples of colleagues within that first company I worked with...

No comments:

Post a Comment