Thursday 5 February 2009

Negative Feedback


In that training our trainer had one-on-ones with us and we were allowed to bitch about other course participants. I bitched about Julie and that she continuously talks about an old client of hers called Alpha-Tec. I so much could not hear that word anymore.

Well, and suddenly I had an assignment; giving Julie feedback and telling her to shut up and that her stories get on my nervs. As a well-mannered young man, I certainly did have my problems giving negative feedback which should also be constructive at the same time. This was also part of our training session.

I tricked a little. Only a few days ahead was Julie's birthday. We all celebrated and were not super-sober anymore. I told her then, in the most diplomatic manner. Julie took it very easily. We had such a laugh, and she never ever mentioned Alpha-Tec again.

In fact, it was from then onwards that Julie and I became extremely good friends. We still visit each other regularly (she lives with her family in the US) and have a good laugh about Alpha-tec these days.

What I wanted to say with this. Giving negative feedback does not have to be destructive. Initially, it is difficult though, but one gets used to it. I am doing it all the time now as part of my job. The ability to tell someone something which he probably does not want to hear and can be painful but will result in something positive is one of the major management skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment